MedusA

Brood area for National 14 X 12 frame?

I have just started doing the BBKA Module 1 and for the first time in years have homework to do. :shock:

We have been asked to do a table of dimensions etc for all the commonly used hives in the UK. I've managed to find all the facts I need except the size of brood area for a 14 X 12 Extra deep frame.

I've trawled the internet and can only seem to find the same standard figures for all the frames, except none of them give the brood area (in square inches) for a 14 X 12.

Any idea?

Thanks OSH. No I promise it's not a trick question. I did mean for all the hive.

Everywhere I've looked at gives 2200 sq ins for a Modified National, not a 14 X 12.

I'm thinking it's 14 X 12=168 X 2 (sides) = 336 X 11 (frames) = 3696. Or 3700 as near as makes no difference.

If it's wrong I'll let you know. :lol:

Best of luck.It's so long since I sat any exams.

You could always ask at BK forum?

Perhaps we should have an omlet beekeepers meet up in the summer somewhere......compare notes :)

PS I've just spotted something on the Scottish beekeeping site which says a 14 x 12 offers 45% more brood space so that 990 so your 3700 seems about right