SillyClucker

Swollen Abdomen

I noticed that one of our chooks had the sick look today, haunched, sleepy, tail down not interested in food. I picked her up with my hand between her legs for support and i could feel with my fingers that her abdomen (just below her vent, seem very swollen and quite spongy feeling. I picked one of the others up for comparison and she felt quite firm there. does anyone have any ideas of the best course of action. I have recently wormed them with flubenvet 2 weeks ago.

Cheers Chris

I'd take her to the vet if you can as there's a chance that she may have peritonitis. If she's swollen around the abdomen, it could be fluid which may or may not be infected with bacteria so it's a good idea to let a vet take a look at her to see if she needs antibiotics.

Also, could she be egg bound? Has she laid an egg at all? Does she appear to be straining to lay an egg?

here's an update on our swollen chook.

By 5pm yesterday she was looking a lot better. She was still very quite though. I decided to leave the vet until the next day. When iwent out at 9pm she was back to her normal self. This morning she is as bright as ninepence. So i will keep an eye on her and hope that she stays ok.

A few months back one of our other chooks had similar symptoms, although i did not check for any swelling. She layed a lash and was fine after. Incidently this was very soon after worming with flubenvet so there might be a connection.

I'll keep you informed of any developments.

Thanks for help, Chris