Kayte

how long does the pecking order take to sort out?

We have just got some bantams as the fox got our last two girls. We wanted bantams so we could leave them in the run for longer without having to worry about fox attacks if we are not in... however... i didn't realise how vicious the pecking order was going to be. we brought 3 different bantams from 3 different runs (so they would all be new to each other) Ronnie, Roxie and Wally. Wally has been getting it in the neck (literally) from the other girls, pecking, not letting her eat, not letting her in the eglu etc.

My husband suggested we immediately get another grey pekin bantam, like wally, as the other two girls are buff (one pekin one rock) to make it a fairer fight. So we introduced newbie to wally and low and behold wally went for her eye which looks a bit sore now. They do seem to be getting on now so we've effectively got two 'camps' in the eglu, with the buff girls ruling the roost. we've tried letting the grey girls wander around outside of the run with the buff girls inside for the afternoon which was fine, but as soon as they ventured inside the run all hell broke loose. Luckily newbie puts up more of a fight than poor old wally. the buffs seemed to be holding the grey girls captive in the eglu this evening.

do people think this will settle down? do chickens hold each other prisoner? how much of a beating do you let them take before intervening or is this just something they have to figure out between themselves? will wally have to live in the kitchen (i think she secretly thinks shes a human)? will it be like a scene from west side story forever? please help.

Kayte

Kayte, I only introduced 1 chicken to 3 existing, so not exactly the same as you but the nastiness (and it was awful, feather pulling and eating etc) lasted 8 days.

I suppose if blood is drawn you will need to separate them.

2 feeding stations is a good idea so less squabbling over food which is where I found most bullying occured with my other 3 not letting the new girl get a look in.

thanks - well i would have imagined your situation to be worse because you had an established group and then added one in. Mine were all new to each other so i was surprized when it all kicked off quite as viciously as it did. something in me tells me that they have to go through it because someone has to be boss and the more i intervene the longer its going to take but it just seems so harsh. no blood has been drawn but i am worried about newbies eye - going to keep close tabs on that as that could get really nasty.

its strange that at night they all seem to forget about it and go to bed together - although i did have a quick look and we've got greys on one side and buffs on the other (how do they even know what colour they are?)

8 days is a long time for the poor girls isn't it?

It generally takes three weeks to settle.

Gentian violet spray is useful if blood is drawn, it is a mild antiseptic and disguised the redness.

Why not spray them all with Tee Tree Spray? At night, through the pop hole.

That way they will all smell the same, and it tasted vile so they may be put off.

For the time being, put out at least three drinkers and three feeders as thay won't be able to man them all, and that way no-one is prevented from eating.

thanks for the tip - we have two sets of grub and glugs and smaller bowls for wally (they watch for her when she tries to eat or drink and go for her) she's also a bit little, and a bit daft so she goes for the one she can't quite reach (*sigh*)

i will try the tea tree oil. i take it its a dilute mix that i spray them with? in a plant mister type thing?

Are we talking 3 weeks of full on fighting or the odd squabble?

i will try the tea tree oil. i take it its a dilute mix that i spray them with? in a plant mister type thing?

Yep, or you can buy it ready made from an equestrian shop.

Ever decreasing spats usually. Quite nasty at the outset. A sharp blsst at the bully with a hosepipe can help

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead you. With my lot they fought full on for 8 days which was awful. Then general squabbling and final pecking order spats lasted about a month but were not as awful as week one. I just felt that for me, after 1 week there was light at the end of the tunnel...... :)