This link takes you to the Domestic Fowl Trust site and at the bottom of the page is a diagram of a ?portable duck pond you can buy.

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/rabbit.html

Might be worth waiting to see if the omlet guys are doing a special duck package that includes a pond. I wonder whether they are suggesting the bunnylu for ducks or a modified eglu without the roosting bars. Some ducks are very large and I can't see them fitting in the bunnylu. But if they are suggesting a pair of Mandarins - well they are tiny and soooo pretty. The drakes are brightly coloured and both look like they have egyptian eye makeup painted round their eyes. I had a pair in Sheffield but the duck was foxed only a few days after we got them so the drake Siggy was on his own :cry: He was a real character and shared a homemade house with 3 much larger ducks.

One reason you'll want a moveable pond is that, unless the edge of a fixed pond is paved or similar, they turn the ground round a normal sized garden pond into a quagmire.

Interesting to see that the Domestic Fowl Trust are selling a duck starter kit for just over £300 and that is a basic wooden duck house and doesn't include the fox proof run. Ducks are just as tasty for a fox :twisted::twisted:

£140 tho!!!!!!! :shock:

i've just read an article by the british waterfowl trust (I think it was) that said an old plastic wheelbarrow body is just the job.

Deep anough to have a splash, nice sloped entry/exit, and if you put slabs around the place, they'll not make a mud bath of your lawn.

Least that's what the thinger said... let me see if I can find the link...

ok, it was the waterfowl association:

http://www.waterfowl.org.uk/pages/docs/keep_dom_ducks.pdf

quite a good starter for ten, I thought. :D

OH has said we can get some ducks... YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... so I be researching.

happy quacking :wink: