wee chookie

scaley leg or moulting? and trimming bottom feathers!

Can the scales moult/peel or is it only if they have scaley leg that the scales stick out a bit? A couple of my chooks have puffy looking scales at their delicate ankles, they don't look sore and there is no discharge but they look like they might be peeling off. i just don't want to chase them about with tubs of vaseline if it is just a summer thing. if it is scaley leg what is the best thing to do? can i just treat them wiht Ivomec Eprinex and if so where do i buy it? any advice would be appreciated

The other query is my orpington clogs up her bottom feathers with poo, how far can i trim these back so i don't have to wash her bottom as much?!

thanks!

You might find informaton *here* and *here* useful in identifying whether or not you have scaly leg mite and how to treat it.

I don't know anything about clipping Orpington knickers but have you wormed her recently and checked for lice? This can make their poo a bit runny and hence making their knicker feathers dirty.

it doesn't sound the first one as there isn't a powdery substance, the snaps aren't quite the same either...the scales are just sticking up at the feet area so that's why i wondered whether they moult scales too? i ahven't found any bugs on them or in the coop either. they are starting to moult a few feathers just now....might just give the vaseline rub a try though if the ladies will permit

i have just wormed my ladies and Orpie's bottom get in a mess regardless of poo type!! i think she is fed up of me washing her, i worry for fly strike you see. poor hens have a worrying mother hen to look after them ... sigh