DollyG

Sticky Eyes +

One of my silkies, Mabel, around 8 months old, has been lethargic for about a week but she is off the lay. She has also developed sticky eyes and often has one eye (or the other) closed. Her feathers around her neck are now very sp"Ooops, word censored!". Both my young girls have runny poohs. Any suggestions?

Cold tea (no milk, no sugar) is very good for soothing sticky eyes, as it is mildly antiseptic.

The sp"Ooops, word censored!" neck feathers could be due to a mini moult. This area is often affected.

Have you wormed the hens recently? Runny poos could be a sign that they are infested.

Why not give them a course of Flubenvet?

I'd cut out all treats and keep them on just pellets, water and if you have some, bokashi bran which is marvellous for sorting out squitty poos. A dollop of probiotic yoghurt won't go amiss either.

If you can get hold of some Avipro, it would also help settle their upset tums.

I lost my dear little Mabel on Saturday. She went downhill so very quickly. I took her to the vet and she was given an anti-inflammatory as her temperature 'was off the top of the scale', and also antibiotics, but they didn't cure her. She had such a short life.