likeastar--x

Chicken colds? PLEASE help?

I saw a post about this on FAQ but I have a problem.

One or two of my chickens have been coughing and sneezing with runny noses. We only got them about 3 days ago. In FAQs it said to take them to the vet, but I really dont want to do that when theyve just started to settle down and weve just had to leak money into the chickens expenses. Does anyone else have any advice on chicken colds?

Thanks

May sound odd but I found putting a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil into the house when they go to bed works wonders and clears their noses.

If they get really raspy in the chest (just like we do) I hold the bottle under their noses and they seem to enjoy breathing it in. It certainly worked for mine.

troy

okay, just saw a post for chicken colds where someone said it cost them £42 to treat their chickens cold at the vet. I definatly cant afford that for 3 chickens after all the expenses weve had to pay already! my boyfriend wont be impressed.

so basically im practically forcing garlic down the poor birds mouths with some cloves in the water and a teaspoon of garlic powder in their food, lol. hopefully we can get some apple cider vinegar or some citrical soon. can chicken colds be fatal? or is it just annoying for them?

Not too much garlic!!

What most people do is buy the horsey garlic powder you can get at any equestrian shop. Its sold in tubs and will last you for ages. When you mix up their feed add a quarter to half a scoop (in tub) to feed and mix it in.

If they really are coming down with it then they might need a course of Baytril. Unfortunately, chickens can go downhill very quickly (a bit like children really!) and bounce right up again.

Finally, make sure they are drinking. Why not make up some warm mash/pellets, add some honey and offer that to them in a flat dish as a warm porridge. That way you can ensure they are getting their liquids.

Good luck

Troy