wombatally

Egg Bound - Or is she?!

Skye was in and out of the nest box yesterday and there was no egg. She even tried nexting on the floor of the run at one point.

Tonight OH said he thought he saw half an egg appearing from her bottom but we found no egg lying around. She was in the house with her tail down earlier but yet again no egg.

I am thinking she must be egg bound (she's only been laying a week or so) but would it appear then go back in?

We have had the vaseline (and gloves) out and held her over warm water but still nothing. I've had a feel underneath her and can't feel an egg.

I can't think of anything else to do tonight - she's eating fine and otherwise doesn't look ill but I'm very worried and would appreciate some help. I'll try giving her some olive oil in the morning.

Her crop was also feeling large and squishy too and it looked like she was being a little sick but I think that may be down to her guzzling down some porridge I put out as a treat - hopefully that will be down in the morning.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

As well as the steam, a warm bath submerging all of her under carriage might help along with a little massage from you if she is egg bound.

As for her crop being squishy and her being sick this sounds like sour crop and will be making her feel very off colour.

Try and give her some pro-biotic yoghurt and white maggots as this can help.

Have you noticed her drinking more at all? :?

If she shows no sign of improvement today i would pop her along to the vets this evening.

Hi,

Two of our birds had sour crop earlier in the year from eating grass that was too long and not having enough grit.

You need to act fast as they go downhill very quickly.

We were making ours sick every evening, horrible I know but it's easy to do and it empties their stomach. Hold the bird upside down by their legs and massage the crop and it should start coming out.

Thanks Both.

Crop problem has gone overnight, phew. She's still not laid though. doesn't look too distressed today and I have done the water/steam thing, fed her bread soaked in olive oil and she's drinking as usual.

I've massaged her and I can't feel an egg there :? . I did notice today that her vent is a little red (not bloody or too sore) and her vent feathers look a little straggly with white stuff (not much) on them.

I am stumped :? She may have just laid a couple of times and stopped and it could be something else.

Honestly, I feel like an over paranoid parent.