Mumpty Posted August 4, 2008 Share Posted August 4, 2008 Can anyone advise on the various products I may need when I get the chooks? I've read about mite powder for the chooks and spray for the housing and vitamin suplements and vinegar and garlic and louse powder .........etc...etc... Should I buy it all? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gallina Posted August 5, 2008 Share Posted August 5, 2008 You don't need any of it immediately, and some of it you will never need, so I would wait. Omlet supply the necessaries to start you off. I have never bought anything of the things you list except garlic flakes, and I ended up throwing them all away. Grit is the one thing I would recommend, and get the tiny sort: mine wouldn't touch the bigger grit. The only good reason for stocking up well is if you live in an area where nothing is available and you don't have a car; but even then you may never need the above items. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 5, 2008 Share Posted August 5, 2008 Have a look at **this thread** on the same topic. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hen Watch Posted August 5, 2008 Share Posted August 5, 2008 Should I buy it all? No. I have amassed stuff over the course of a year and only when I needed it. Essentials are layers pellets (which contain all they need), housing + water. Nice to have = Garlic Powder (not flakes) to make their poo a little less smelly and Auboise to put in the nestbox, poo tray (and in the run in Winter). Both you can get from the Eileen Douglas Tack Shop. Grit - mine get what they need from free ranging - I do keep a pot of grit permanently in their run but they consume much more in Winter. Don't need it on day one but nice to get some at some point. I bought 1 x 25kg bag of Mixed Hen Grit from Country Wide Farmers in Twyford for about £5 and it will last forever. If you buy everything it gets expensive and you may not need it all. So you can get it as and when. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mumpty Posted August 5, 2008 Author Share Posted August 5, 2008 Thanks for the helpful advice. I've food, and grit coming from Omlet, so I'll keep them fed, watered, clean and hopefully no need to buy anything else jsut yet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Troy Posted August 5, 2008 Share Posted August 5, 2008 I would definately think about the garlic powder. You can get it easily from horsey shops. It will last for ages as you only need a little added to their feed. It certainly works on keeping poo smells down and its known as a natural blood cleanser and good flea repellent. troy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...