Merryn Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 Is anyone else having trouble with slugs this year? I find that each morning - and evening if it's been raining - I have to scoop out at least 6 REVOLTING big slugs out of the feeding Grub. I suppose it's because it's so wet but this has never happened before and it was wet last year... Anybody any suggestions? I can't use slug pellets for obvious reasons, though they wouldn't do any good anyway as it is so wet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tiggerlady Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 They do seem to be extra huge this summer dont they?? What's worse is our girls wont touch them!! I tell them to shoo away from the back door (waiting for treats? ) and go earn their keep de-bugging the garden but they dont listen...! Now when it comes to the fuschia bush,thats a different story! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
new chick Posted September 11, 2008 Share Posted September 11, 2008 See another message link here .. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31777 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Merryn Posted September 11, 2008 Author Share Posted September 11, 2008 Thanks, just read the other thread. So I'm not alone! My hens won't touch the slugs - don't blame them. I am going to try beer traps NOW! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
KarmaMama Posted September 12, 2008 Share Posted September 12, 2008 We get the biggest slugs ever, and when they stray in the run my chooks also just stare at them. However, the other day one huge slug got in the grub - took me a while and lot's of fiddling about to get it out with a stick and by the time I finally flicked it out, it was covered in pellets. Well they pounced on it and it was gone in seconds. It was kind of morbidly comforting to watch Jacquie x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Minnie the Moocher Posted September 12, 2008 Share Posted September 12, 2008 We have a large number of HUGE rust-coloured slugs with orange frilly skirty bits. Yuck. My girls will eat only the small ones. Perhaps I could chop them up? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...