Nicola O Posted July 7, 2009 Share Posted July 7, 2009 Well, perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration... The four ex-batts have been with me just over a week and there has not been a crossed word between them. Today I came home from work to find that Eric, the teeny tiny chook, has a bleeding tail. It appears that Frank has decided to be top girl and has been pecking at Erics tail feathers and snapped two or three off close to the base of the feather. Frank is not bothering Stan and Dave. I sprayed the bleeding feathers stumps with gentian violet, but as they were still bleeding I've put some flour on them. They came out into the garden and Frank was still trying to peck her so she is currently in the run so Eric and the others can free range in peace. I know that they have to go through this to sort out the pecking order, but I really feel for little Eric. Out in the garden Eric was literally hiding behind my legs. I did think that Frank has set on Eric today as Eric has just laid her first egg today ( the first of any of them to lay) and perhaps Frank thought that it would 'elivate' her position (do chooks think like that?) I'm a bit worried how they will be tomorrow while I'm not here. I hope they will be OK. At least I'm home Thursday and Friday and keepan eye on them then. Nicola. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted July 14, 2009 Share Posted July 14, 2009 how's it going ? Have they declared a truce? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Nicola O Posted July 15, 2009 Author Share Posted July 15, 2009 Hi Cathy Yes, it only really lasted a day and then they were back to being happy little chooks again. Little Eric has decided that I am her best friend and follows me round the garden wherever I go, which is really sweet but I've fallen over her twice now and she's still got her lovely purple tail as well. Nicola Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted July 15, 2009 Share Posted July 15, 2009 I am so pleased they are getting on OK, Eric sounds adorable! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...