beingmaisie Posted July 18, 2009 Share Posted July 18, 2009 Hi, I have 2 pullets aged 14 weeks and one rooster the same age. The rooster we hatched ourselves and he is slightly more tame, but the girls are very wary of us and although they will come to us for corn and eat from our hands they wont be picked up. In the last few days however they have become extra friendly and Daisy (mistaken sex) the rooster will jump on our laps for the corn. Should we just let them learn to be happy around us rather than trying to pick them up and is it the picking up thats making them so nervous. I dont want to make them unhappy and therefore not good layers in a month or so. They have a very large run and free range most days too, hubby thought that too much free ranging might be making them 'wild' any thoughts? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 18, 2009 Share Posted July 18, 2009 I'd continue to pick them up otherwise when they need care you will struggle I bought two hens a while back that were friendly but not used to being handled, it has taken several weeks for them to be at all calm about it Pick them up in the evening when they have gone to roost as they will be sleepy and docile so less stressed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...