eggmayo

Netting for Bees

Hi,

I'm fencing off an area at the bottom of the garden to keep my bee hive in (when I get my bees). There's a garage on one side, an existing boundary fence on another and it backs onto a field on the third side, but I want to put a screen across on the fourth side, so as not to risk upsetting the neighbours. (They are very understanding of the chickens, so I really don't want to upset them.)

OH has made the frame and fitted a gate and I now need to decide what to use as screening. I'm thinking of a insect mesh, but not sure what size mesh I'll need. :doh: I don't want to put up a mesh and find my lovely bees getting tangled up in it, or flying straight through. Anyone with any ideas, or any better suggestions as what to use for screening?

Thanks, Gail

I am using something like this: http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Garden%20Netting_Insect%20Netting/GDN-018.htm

You need something that is UV resistant, as it decays over time (from my experience). I think it is best to have something that there is no way they can fly or crawl through, so they will definitely fly high on approach or departure.

apparently it doesn't need to be too fine, because it's the visual barrier that it presents which makes them fly up (I can't back this up with any scientific facts but I know I read it on a bee-keeping site somewhere!) - in other words, even if they can get through the mesh, they see it as a barrier and fly over it. I'll try and find my sources!