C&T

Bumbles!

Hi all,

In our garage (seperate to the house, in a block) we have some wood stacked up, ready to be burnt in the chininea (sp). Our garage only gets used for my bike, which is used most days, but there isn't much else in there.

A couple of days ago, there was a bumble in there - how nice I thought! - but the number a slowly increasing. It looks like they are making a home in the wood pile... :D

So, as I admit I know nothing about bees, can anyone help with a couple of questions? I understand that the nest's aren't very big - but how many bee's are there likely to be if they are nesting? If the Nest is at the back of the garage, and my bike is at the front, do you think they will be OK with me opening and closing the garage door, getting my bike in and out most days? I don't want to have to buy a bee suit just to get to my bike!!

And is there anything I can do to help them? I am quite excited! It's the closest I'll come to keeping bees - what with a husband that is allergic to stings, and therefore understandably nervous about keeping a few thousand bees in a small garden....

I am off to read the Bumble bee web site :D

There could be as many as 100-150 in there, although it could be smaller. That sounds like a lot, I know, but bear in mind that a beehive will have 50-60,000 honey bees in, so it's not that many!

I doubt if they will be bothered by you getting your bike in and out, as long as you don't disturb the wood-pile. They will be gone by September or thereabouts, so if you can put up with it till then I would leave them be - it depends, of course, if you want this wood for your chiminea over the summer!

it depends, of course, if you want this wood for your chiminea over the summer!

Well I did - but will happily sacrifice it! Glad you say I should be OK with bike - I can't really keep it anywhere else...

Hopefully a few of the 100-150 will visit our garden - I do love the sound of bumbles bumbling about. Shame the chooks eat so many of the flowers so garden not as bee friendly as once was! But the roses will be out soon, and lavender is nearly there as well.

Now to see if they do stay - or decide seomewhere else is better.