Old Speckled Hen

Watching a swarm

I just had to share this as it was a most wonderful experience. I listened to the hive start with a high pitched buzz which turned into a roar like an express train. The bees began to dribble out to crowd the landing board and the front of the box, the trickle becoming a torrent as they poured out like water and took to the air. I stood (suited, because I knew this was coming) in the field as bees swirled above my head, a living cloud of intent and eagerness. One or two landed on a small hazel tree only feet away to be joined by a few more and a few more till the cloud became silent as it thinned in the air to become one black globe with a halo of silver wings shimmering in the sun.It hung seemingly precariously from a slender branch. I could hear the birds again and the humming in my head had gone.

The only problem was THEY WERE MY BEES :oops::oops::oops:

BUT I caught them and put them in a nuc box. :D

This was a colony (a nuc acquired at the end of May) I had A/S and I had knocked out two QCs leaving one nice big cell that I had seen a larva in.

Huh.................... After they had swarmed I found the QC I had missed. The little BBBBB Bees had made a hole in the bottom of the frame and hidden a queen cell flush with the rest of the worker cells. Oh and I spotted a queen running on a frame :D:D

Now I know when spotted QC was due to hatch. Can somebody tell me why they waited a whole week to swarm even though the weather was good all that time? Could there have been two queens in there for that week?

Edited for typo's (still asleep)

What a beautiful and very poetic description OSH. I was there with you in spirit. :lol:

I can't help you with the question I'm afraid. I have no personal experience of swarming, but have helped my friend out with hers. Her colony swarmed about 5 times this year. She has now requeened in the hope that she may be able to enjoy her bees for the rest of the season! :roll: