txswanie Posted October 15, 2010 Share Posted October 15, 2010 I went out a while ago to collect todays eggs and Brigitte (2.5 year old Maran) was still inside the nesting box. I waited around till she came out and when I went in to get the eggs one was covered in a whitish goop. Checked everyone out and found that Brigitte seemed to have a slight prolapse. About half an inch of dark red with thick white liquid on the end. I went indoors to get cloths, water Prep H etc and by the time I got back it was gone. Phew I though. Then she started behaving oddly. She went back into the nest and stayed there even though mealworms and boiled eggs were on offer (that is very odd for her) As I write this she has started making screeching noises (what I call egg laying sounds) and will not come out of the nest. I know that everyone has layed today as there are the correct amount of eggs. So my questions are Was this a prolapse or did she just come out of the nest straight after laying the egg? Could she suddenly be broody (no signs in the past) Why would she be making the egg laying noises when she has already layed an egg? Could she be in discomfort? She is such a regular, good natured chicken. Almost an egg a day since I have had her with no problems. Any ideas? thanks Colette. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Steve the Gas Posted October 16, 2010 Share Posted October 16, 2010 She could be over straining for a softie- nothing for her muscles to grip on or got a biggie double on the way, possibly broody mode on its way. Observation is key with behaviour changing etc. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...