Millie-Annie

Handling baby pigs

Never having had a baby pig before, I am a bit worried about handling too much or not enough.

Matilda is very nervous, difficult to catch etc. I was picking her up every day and holding her whilst I got the hay sorted, put the food in etc, but the other day she bit me. Not hard, but a warning nip.

So now I just pick her up and concentrate on holding her and talking to her. I talk to her all the while I am doing things, although now I leave her in her hutch, and I offer her food from my hand, which she won't take.

I want her to be calm like my other pigs. My friend has two 3 year old girls who have never moved on from the scared to death phase and you never see them. Whoosh they are gone, catching them is a nightmare and I don't want that.

I know it is early days, but I just want to know I am doing the right things to make her happy and settled

Hi

just keep handling her, the more the merrier and she will get used to it bit by bit :D . Keep tempting her with food too and she will soon get the message.

I have pigs that will never like to be handled, but always best to get them used to it as you never know when need to give meds or food.

I have one foster pig that is totally terrifed at being handled, and shes heavily expecting too, so have to leave her be for now. But once the babies have arrived will start to pick her up again.

Just keep doing what your doing. Yours doing a great job :D:D:D xx