Snoxy

Advice please uncovered run Spring clean

Hi :-) We are planning to hire a skip (unsure this will be possible given what we want to fill it with) dig out the earth, remains of sterilised straw, hen doo-doo etc as soon as the warmer weather arrives. This winter I have just about managed to keep the uncovered run from becoming like a smelly old bog. In the last week I have noticed when I am in the run it is a bit wiffy at times. I have used 3, 8kg tubs of Stalosan F which has helped :-) I cant smell it when I am standing in the garden so pretty sure the neighbours cant smell anything as they dont venture outside until its warmer and then not much all Summer! We have had rain overnight for the past week :-S We are thinking that after digging out we should put down garden lime to neutralise the ground? Then put down a thick layer of gravel followed by thick layer of wood chips. Although I have put down large amounts of wood chips before and they disappear in time :-/ What do you think of this idea? Would you suggest we do anything else? Before next Autumn we will be putting up more shelter. The Eglu shade we put up to keep food dry has worked a treat :-) Our set up doesnt allow us to have a covered wir unfortunately. Thank you :-)

That sounds like a good plan to me, though you might be wasting the garden lime if you're digging out the old stuff and adding a good layer of gravel for drainage and then woodchip on top. I'd be prepared to have to repeat the exercise though, maybe every year, and the gravel is bound to get mixed in with the woodchip. Alternatively, you could just put a deep layer of woodchip down and forget the gravel too, in the knowledge that it'll be less work and less expensive. :think:

I can't really dig it out my un-covered woodchipped area because of the trees we've planted, so I poo pick, rake it over and add fresh chip every now and again. If I used the area all year round, I'd probably lime it a couple of times too.

Blimey! Are we talking those HUGE square bags??? If so, how many litres are in one of those? I guess it is cheaper to buy it like that :D

Have been checking out online prices for large quantities of hardwood chips this arvo...

I have bought bags and bags of wood chips (not bark) in the past...it just seems to disappear over time :eh: I guess it's just a case of having to top up on regular basis 8) especially before Winter sets in

Yup, them's the bags! I don't know how many litres they hold as we collected them from a friendly tree surgeon, but I know I need another one to finish the job properly! :roll: I lost count (or more likely forgot to keep counting), but I'd estimate I got around 10 wheel barrow loads from each bag - it's hugely cheaper than buying smaller bags (especially if the tree surgeon in question is returning a favour) so I'd certainly recommend cultivating a nice man with a chainsaw. :lol: