beapea Posted March 10, 2011 Share Posted March 10, 2011 We have 3 hybrids (1 & 2 yrs) and 2 Orpingtons (2 yrs). They are eating vast amounts of layers pellets, free-ranging in the garden, almost at the end of a course of Flubenvet - and producing a total of 1 egg a day! Serious talks have had no effect; any ideas, please? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henslaved Posted March 10, 2011 Share Posted March 10, 2011 I'm no expert but I know hybrids don't lay for as long as pure breeds as they tend to wear themselves out in the first couple of years. All hens tend to have a break from laying at some stage in their lives and I'm led to believe that it's usually over winter when they're usually moulting and there is less daylight. I've also heard that overweight birds don't lay. Maybe try cutting down their rations, treats (if any) and FR time. I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon. You could try waving a box of Paxo at them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beapea Posted March 11, 2011 Author Share Posted March 11, 2011 Thank you - I hadn't thought age might be a factor, especially for the 2 Sussex hens. I'll try cutting the rations a bit. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...