meezers

What would you do ?

I gave in and put 5 eggs under the eternally broody Muppet last weekend. One each from 5 of my hens - Dandelion is the dad. He does his duty with all the chooks, but he has his favourites ( if you know what I mean :wink: ). The 5 eggs I chose were from my favourite chooks - only one was a favourite of his. I candled them tonight ( impatient I know) and it seems 3 are clear, 1 possible ( Dandelions fave) and 1 weird - it's the Welsummers and though it doesn't look clear, it doesn't look as it should at this stage either :?

Being as Muppet has only been sat a week and is doing fine, would you ditch these eggs ( including the 1 possible) and replace them with eggs from Dandelions fave girls - hoping for more fertiles? or go ahead and hatch 1 , at the most 2 chicks ? two would be ok, but don't really want to hatch just 1. I just feel guilty about ditching a week old fertile.

Hi Anne. I didn't hold out long did I ? :lol: I could get day olds, but the only reason I'm hatching again is because I want to see what Dandelions progeny look like - should be some interesting crosses :lol: But I chose the 5 heavier girls so any boys could go in the pot. If I replace them with eggs from the Araucana, cream legbar and speckledy I'm pretty sure they'd be fertile - but of course any boys would be a bit on the light side . Decisions decisions. Think I'll give it a couple more days, just to be sure , then replace them if they're still clear.

Oh, and you never mentioned Polish when I last spoke to you - where did they come from ? :wink:

Hi Anne. I didn't hold out long did I ? :lol: I could get day olds, but the only reason I'm hatching again is because I want to see what Dandelions progeny look like - should be some interesting crosses :lol: But I chose the 5 heavier girls so any boys could go in the pot. If I replace them with eggs from the Araucana, cream legbar and speckledy I'm pretty sure they'd be fertile - but of course any boys would be a bit on the light side . Decisions decisions. Think I'll give it a couple more days, just to be sure , then replace them if they're still clear.

Oh, and you never mentioned Polish when I last spoke to you - where did they come from ? :wink:

LOL's they're not mine. My friend bought two as days olds to add to the ones from her broody and she ended up with one cock and one hen. So far she's also had nearly 100% hatch rate from them. As the eggs are too small for her to sell and she's off on hols soon she gave me some incase I do get a broody. Oh, and my Vorwerk is also doing a hlaf hearted attempt of being broody so I could end up with two broodies-lol

Perhaps just stick more eggs under from the heavier girls so you know any boys would be "meatier"