CrazyDaizy

Rabbit with the runs + off his food

Our 4 year old lop earred rabbit seems to have "loose" poos today and is off his food. I am hoping it's just "one of those days." His eyes are not watery and seem bright. He freeranges with the chickens in the garden. He was a bit slow coming out of his hutch this morning, but is just sitting in the garden now. He's not "moping" about or huddled up, though not very active either really.

Any ideas would be gratefully received. If there's no improvement tomorrow I will take him to the vets.

The most important thing is to get some fluid and food inside him to keep his gut flora going as rabbits

can easily come down with statis. if he doesn't eat at all today ground some of his feed down and add water

to it and try to syringe feed or if you can get hold of some bio lapis from your vets to help with his tummy.

Maybe worth having his teeth checked to see if they need rasping.

The most important thing is to get some fluid and food inside him to keep his gut flora going as rabbits

can easily come down with statis. if he doesn't eat at all today ground some of his feed down and add water

to it and try to syringe feed or if you can get hold of some bio lapis from your vets to help with his tummy.

Maybe worth having his teeth checked to see if they need rasping.

Thank you Lillybettybabs. I noticed he went and drank some water earlier in the garden. I also put some carrot greenery for him and it's gone (though the chickens may have had some) I'm glad he had some water. He looked like he was going to eat some grass and he was "munching" (his mouth was moving like he was eating) but it didn't last long.

He had his teeth checked not so long ago at the Vet (who also says to keep an eye on his teeth) the Vet noticed he'd recently lost a tooth. His eyes are ok and clear (murky eyes can indicate teeth problems too I am told)

I will try and do as you say, get him to eat something later. Then leave him overnight with his pet water bottle thingy.

Pets! They are a worry aren't they :shock: