Surfnirvana

Feather Pecking - No Knickers left!

We were away on hols last week and had a friend come to house & hen sit. When we got back I noticed that 3 out of my 4 chooks had very bare bottoms and were rather raw. :( Bess, the lowest in the pecking order still has a lovely feathery bum! :shock:

I'm wondering if they got bored last week as they weren't let out to free-range at all and our friend may have left them closed in their cube later than they are used to, so may have got fed up? I'm amazed the culprit seems to be Bess. I've never had this before with my other chooks and these ones are now a year old. I have put some anti-pecking spray on their bare bottoms to see if that works, and have hung up something for them to peck at in their cube run whilst I'm at work.

Does the anti-pecking spray actually work? Has anyone had any good results with this? Is there anything else I should be doing? Don't really want to separate them if I can avoid it. Bye the way, I have double checked to make sure they have no lice infestation - they all look clear of that.

Thanks for any advice :)