andybukbuk

Where to site hive

Hi,

I've been thinking about going into bee keeping for a little while now and have signed up for a course. There's just one problem - where to put the hive? I can't really put it in our garden. What other options should I look at? What do other people do?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Lots of people do keep bees in their gardens - is yours really not suitable?

Failing that, do you know anyone else who's got a suitable garden, who might like to have a beehive at the end of it? Bees don't generally cause a problem, in fact if they are tucked out of sight you'd hardly know they were there most of the time - they don't hang around picnics trying to eat the jam sandwiches, like wasps do.

Your local beekeeping group might have some suggestions, they may have a divisional apiary where you can keep a hive, although naturally there are usually more people wanting this than there are spaces. A piece of land that isn't much use for gardening can often be ideal for bees - are there any local farms that you could ask? You only need a fairly small area, just enough to stand the hives on and work around.

It's probably worth asking around at the course, the tutors might have some ideas.