MayfieldRichard

Advice on my new set up please...

Hi there all,

After a year of owning an Omlet Cube with a 3 metre run, I find that this is not enough room for my 7 chickens to have a good quality of life as they are generally bored and pecking each other due to lack of space.

I've now bought a 50m electric fence that will be arriving any day now and have been pondering the best way to proceed. I intend for the cube and run to be open all day so that the girls can explore within the confines of the new run. My question is whether to clip their wings or not? The chicken breeder is against it and says that if a fox should get in, the hens will at least have a chance of flying out of harm's way if the wings are not clipped. Since I've only ever had the hens in the cube run before, I do not know how prone they will be to flying up if given the chance. They will be in our woodland and there are no neighbours to worry about, it's just if they do fly over the fencing, they are vulnerable to attack and I have visions of chasing them for hours to get them back in! Any feedback would really be welcome.

When I had mine confined within electric fencing (without electric) they never tried to fly over the top. I have one that will jump/flap to get on top of the hen house as its a solid structure she can aim for. I only ever had trouble with one of them trying to squeeze under it. But if its electrified that wouldn't happen.

It depends if they can jump on anything to get height and then sometimes they can flap over it? Or as they try to jump off the structure end up over the fence by accident.

Thanks for that Lotty,

I set up the electric fencing yesterday and they showed no inclination to get out as they seemed so happy to explore their new surroundings.

I am getting a cockerel on Friday, a (Copper Black Orpington) that must be at least three times their size. Now that may make them want to escape!! Watch this space......