AgaSaga Posted June 18, 2012 Share Posted June 18, 2012 My Black Rock hen has been losing her feathers for a while now - I first noticed it around October last year where she was losing feathers around her bottom/vent area and a few on her neck and I thought she was going through a mini moult. Eventually egg production dropped and although the feather loss didnt get any worse, they were not growing back either - although I did see the odd new quill poking through. After a couple of months I started giving them more protein in the form of mealworms and egg production started again, and I have continued giving them a mealworm treat in the afternoon. However I now notice that my Black Rock is losing feathers on her legs too. They have a large walk in run and free range on grass every day. I give them layers pellets and I dont see them pecking each other and the skin isnt sore. I cant see any mites or infestations and she is quite bright eyed and perky apart from this - just wouldnt win any beauty contests. Ive tried putting Poultry Nutri drops on some bread for them - but she is the only one who doesnt eat them - she doesnt like the taste. Any ideas what it could be? Thanks in anticipation Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sage Posted June 18, 2012 Share Posted June 18, 2012 You could be talking about one of my girls. She started off losing her feathers on her chest( thought moult and then she went broody) next went the neck feathers now the vent and legs . I have tried everything for lice/mites. I even thought she may have a reaction to the bedding so I tried another brand but nothing has worked. Her skin isn't red or sore but I have noticed her preening herself a lot more than the other girl. Sage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...