Isabel Posted June 20, 2012 Share Posted June 20, 2012 I have two Maran chicks - will be 6 weeks old this coming weekend. Girl chick is fully feathered and looks prettier every day. Boy chick on the other hand ... well, I thought he was slow to feather, now I don't know. I managed to catch him this morning and on close examination, it looks as though feathers are rubbing off or else not coming through. His wings are feathered but the closer you get to his neck, the balder and scruffier he looks. Under his tummy is almost bare. He felt very warm but is bright and was eagerly eating corn. I couldn't catch his sister to see how warm she felt in comparison as, by that time, I had let them out of their run for te first time and the other two hens were busy s"Ooops, word censored!"ping with their Mum so all returned to base. Any ideas on the boy please? They had cocci treatment in their water for 7 days at a week old, are eating chick crumb and odd handfuls of corn, outside in a small run which has become quite muddy due to all the recent rain (which is why I wanted to let them FR for a while today). The only thing they didn't get was probiotic in their water after the Cocci treatment - the tab broke on the container and it won't open Thanks Isabel Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 20, 2012 Share Posted June 20, 2012 I'd say it is just the slowness of feathering, male chicks go 'fuzzy' on their necks, tummy and down their sides under their wings. I have some about the same age that are still fuzzy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Isabel Posted June 20, 2012 Author Share Posted June 20, 2012 Thanks Redwing - that's reassuring. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...