WhiteGermanShepherd

Ageing ex batts and new chickens

Hi, please excuse the long post but I wondered if I have done enough to make sure my incoming chickens stay healthy...

I had 4 ex batts for over a year, got 2 more in December that brought in an upper respiratory infection. Treated them all with Baytril & Metacam but lost Daisy 4months ago. Since then have lost 2 older ones to egg peritonitis but still got one original girl, the one who was the weakest when we got her plus the newer 2. That pair lay every day and are the picture of health although give a little snuffleor sneeze from time to time and old girl Poppy is aged now but still lays 3 or so times a week and all 3 eat really well and are actively free ranging in daylight.

Am getting 4 hens from a breeder on Thursday. My prep is this: have got a new wooden coop for the old 3 which is housed inside my summerhouse (they love it!) and Omlet fencing arrives today to make sure they don't approach their old patch which is the whole top section of the garden.

For the new girls, I have had the Eglu to pieces, steam cleaned it and used Poultry Shield 3 times all over it, put Stalosan down the hole in the nesting box, have removed all the bark and top couple of inches of soil from all over the patch (took ages and meant 30 bags of earth to the tip!), have repainted the new fence again up to hen height, painted the summerhouse as it backs into the hen patch, bleached the outsides of the 2 compost bins, cut back tree branches that were on the ground, sprayed Poultry Shield all along the trellis fence then attached a brushwood screen along and the Omlet netting will go beyond that so my old girls won't be able to get anywhere near proximity to the new ones. I've bleached the stones and slab stepping stones I have alongside the Eglu, have steam cleaned all the run caging plus used Poultry Shield on it, have removed the top 6inches of earth from inside the run, put down loads of Stalosan and laid slabs inside most of it, wil put Hemcore down on top on Thursday before they come. Plus I have put down a thick layer of Stalosan all over the ground and in all the nooks and crannies before laying a thick layer of new bark. Have bleached my very new slate chippings in between the stepping stones and added a fresh bag on top. The glug and grub have been thoroughly bleached and the Onlet shade washed and a new clear tarp put over the run with a strip of new vinyl flooring along the bottom each side to stop mud coming in. Going to add a couple of strips of turf for them too. Have I done enough to ensure my new girls stay well? I clean the Eglu out daily for poo and change the newspaper in the droppings tray and rake the run out weekly and use Stalosan with occasional use of Biodri. I also use diatom in the nesting box to guard against lice and mites.

The older girls will still free range in the garden but not by their former patch and the new ones will stay in the patch until all 3 ex batts have gone... Given that all 3 girls have been medicated in the recent past and are doing really well apart from a snuffle now and again, can I do anything else to make sure my new girls (coming all vaccinated) stay well. I'm just paranoid as having lost 3aging ex batts in 4 months, I want to keep my new girls in tiptop condition.

Sorry for such a long post.

Blimey :!::!: What amazing preparations for your new girls - I hope they appreciate all your hard work :) . I think you have done more than enough and all that is left is to collect your newbies and enjoy them alongside your older girls.

All that is required now is pictures of your set-up - it sounds wonderful :D

Oh thank you so much, feel relieved to hear that! To tell you the truth I'm absolutely worn out after it as I'm a 6 stone weakling but want everything to be perfect for them! I'm a teacher and go back to work next week, have spent 5 weeks decorating every room in the house bar one and the final week sorting out my hen patch, so am going back to work for a rest!!! Will take pictures, meant to upload some before of my ex batts, I rarely post but do lurk a bit on the forum, it is a wonderful mine of information :-)

Good grief, I think you have gone above and beyond the call of duty in preparing for your new girls :shock::lol: I am certain that your new hens will be just fine and should anything happen to them (hopefully not!) I think you can be fairly certain that it will be nothing to do with your failure to prepare and keep your chicken area clean and spotless.

Thank you so much. I keep telling myself that just because the ex batts snuffle and sneeze from time to time, distance-wise from the new girls it would be no different from them being in my neighbour's garden and I wouldn't expect that to be a problem for germs so am probably worrying about nothing but really appreciate the replies! I did speak to my vet last week as I'm lucky to have a chicken vet at the practice but all she said was to keep the girls from mingling, clean the Eglu and just to lift the bark and put down fresh but thought I'd do a bit more to be sure everything is clean!!!!! :D