Isobel

Advice on quail things please!

I have taken on some quails that a colleague had to get rid of at short notice. I've kept chickens for a few years but this is new! They have been in a rabbit hutch open onto a grass run while the weather was nice. Now I have taken the hutch off the ground and put on some breeze blocks in case of frost so they don't get any contact with grass now. I have just no idea if this is ok for the next 6-7 months till the weather gets warmer again ? I have read that if you give them artificial light they carry on laying. Is that safe and healthy, and what sort of light do you use ? They are not laying at all at the mo, is that normal or is it because I have not done something right?

If I put the hutch inside say in the garage is that ok for an entire six months (without natural light)? Finally is it ok to feed them on chicken layers pellets/mash - they seem to eat certain of the seeds in the quail mix I have been using but leave most types which is quite a waste! I would be very grateful for any expert advice, thanks.

PS one got sick and died, I have no idea what the problem was it just went into decline - is there anything common or obvious that they get??

Hi Isobel,

I am no expert on Quail but have had some for around a year now so can only tell you from my own experience in that time.

I have my quail in a hutch type situation and give them greens and bits like that they love cucumber. I get Quail pellets that marriages do from a poultry store near by and they seem to like those. The best substitute for quail pellets is chick crumb I think. Mine are Japanese and are still laying, you may just need to give them time to settle.

This will be my first winter having them so will cover them with garden fleece at night. But will have to see how it goes I may need to bring them in if it's to cold.

I personally won't be using a light to keep them laying as this is not natural for them and is simmilar to the battery hen situation. However people do use this method just using an ordinary light.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers Steve

Hi Steve thanks for sharing your experience I appreciate it. I like the idea of the fleece. I use old oil cloth tablecloths to rain-proof the wire runs on my Eglus so I guess I could put fleece over first and then one of those over the top in the winter. Glad you said about the chick crumb, I've had a lot of that to use up so have been giving them that mostly for the last couple of weeks. But still no eggs!! That does make me think I am not doing something quite right.

I have not come across the pellets at all to date. There is a grain farm opposite me that does all kinds of bird seed but the only thing they have for quails is the so called quail mix with the seeds in. Guess I may have to look at mail order! Thanks again for your help.