luvMrT

mrt (tortoise)

Mrt has finally decided enough was enough and has hibernated in his box filled with news paper,covered in thick towels to keep out the light ,and he stays in the hall where there is a constant cool temperature as we have no heating there and I check his reflexes from time to time .he does`nt lose much weight over the time he sleeps,I bath and weigh him before he settles down and as soon as he wakes up , I also keep a tortoise diary so as to look back and see what his charts and progress he is making ,which I find vey helpful I`ve also put his records from the vet there too ,so sleep tight all tortoieses :shh::shh:

Our Enzo has an outdoor shelter like a small cold frame with a perspex top that he normally goes into to warm up. We had a friend coming in to check on him whilst we were away last week and he hadn't moved or eaten anything. Checked him over at the weekend and he was obviously ready so popped him into his box for the winter. We keep a diary of his hibernation dates and his weight - for the last three years he has hibernated on either the 28th or 29th October each time. He was also his heaviest pre-hibernation weight this year at 2060g.