lozaqauckers

ducklings and hatching

hi this is my first time of writing on the forum just wanted to know is there anyone who loves appleyard minature ducks as much as i do .. last month i put 5 eggs from my females nest into my incubator turned them for 28 days and got to day 24 they was still alive just about pip and then nothing they all died in the shell fully formed (i was devastated ) , i am still not sure what went wrong the temp or humidity i guess.. but i had left 11 eggs in the nest with my female appleyard(jemima) i know not very original !!! and wow what a fantastic job she has done her first ever clutch of eggs and on sunday night we got 10 lovely baby ducklings they are active and mum is still doing a great job i have seperated the drake as i wasnt sure how he would be with them all . (let me know if you think i should have left them all together)

i also have 1 male cayuga and 17 chickens various breeds oh 2 dogs but we have gone poultry mad . On sunday we went to our first poultry auction really enjoyed it i was surprised how many people love chickens and ducks as much as us .....

Hello lozaqauckers and welcome to the forum. I know some people on here have and love appleyards. Are yours very noisy like Call Ducks or are they quieter?

I'm sorry about the ones that did not hatch from the incy but congratulations to your good Mummy duck for the 10 that did hatch :clap: They must be getting all their feathers by now.

I just love poultry too. I've always kept lots of pets but always mammals and it surprised me how much I've enjoyed my chickens, doves and ducks recently. How I'd love to have geese too but alas, no grass :( The ones I'd really like are those white ones with frizzled feathers. I saw some last year at the Warwickshire show in November, which, by the way, I can highly recommend as it was quieter than a chicken event but really, really friendly :D

As you have lots of chickens too, do use the chicken part of the Omlet forum. It is much busier than the ducky part and you'll get lots of replies there :D