Old Speckled Hen

Very quiet

Well I haven't got bees yet as such......I did start a nucleus off a few weeks ago with a sealed queen cell that I found in one of my trainers hives (he is still muttering about how did he miss that in his previous inspection of that hive). Last week the queen wasn't in the nucleus hive, hopefully she was out partying with the lads(so to speak this is a family forum :lol: ) I will know more later today when I've hopefully had a look in the hive. :pray:

I'm looking for somewhere closer to home(my trainers apiary is a35min drive away) for the nucleus if all goes to plan .....I have put the word out and the vicar at my church is also on the case.

Update: queen still AWOL, now listed as missing assumed lost :( . On the upside the vicar has found me an elderly couple who are willing to let me put a hive in their garden (the man said just the one mind NO more than one). I have an experience bee keeper lined up to check the site out on Friday.

I got 4 large jars of honey and 4 little ones from my bees but I only got them in June and I am leaving them 60lbs of honey for the winter on the advice of several people at my bee club ( had varying amounts suggested but settled with the one from a man who has been using 'long deeps' - which are wooden versions of the Omlet - for years)

Wasps have been very bad and I have found a recipe they particularly like which is Victoria Plum jam with one of those Swedish berry ciders. They break down the top covering on the jar to get to it! And I console myself with the fact that I have provided a very nice 'last supper' for them.