Phosphorus

Prospective chicken keeper thinking of cube!

Hi,

New to all this, but seems like a great forum.

Thinking of getting an eglu cube as we want approx 4 chicks and possibly more if we get the bug :)

Interested whether any other people on this forum have bought cubes in the recent past and still had problems with the leaking mentioned on the site.

Are the cubes with standard run pretty easy to move (one person?) Also would 4 chickens be happy if kept in the run most of the time (we are in major fox area so would be unhappy to let them out when we are not around in the garden - another attraction for the Eglu - foxproofing)? My main attraction to the Eglu is the maintainence side and possibly less likely to attract mites etc. Not sure how true this is :?

Currently thinking Black Rock, Light Sussex, Marran Cuckoo and Heritage Skyline - although this is more than likely to change again :?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrea

HI and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I can answer all your questions, my cube doesn't leak and I think that is very much a minority.

You are right to plan ahead you WILL want more chooks.

I've no idea how easy it is to move with the run on - I don't have a run and I don't find it that easy to move - having said that it's not impossible and definately easier than moving a large wooden house of the same size would be near impossible.

I've had red mite, once. They were on my roosting bars which I scrubbed and put powder on. I then jet washed the eglu and job done. It took 1/2 hour to to eradicate them. I think that would have taken a lot longer in a wooden house.

Oh and I@m waving hello from Rettendon - I loove Billericay its my favorite place to shop (and work - but I foolishly left!)

also I noticed your lovely choice of chooks - a Heritige skyline is on my next shopping list!

Hello and welcome to the forum Phosphorous. :lol:

Hi,

New to all this, but seems like a great forum.

It is! Super friendly and family orientated.

Thinking of getting an eglu cube as we want approx 4 chicks and possibly more if we get the bug :)

You will!!

Interested whether any other people on this forum have bought cubes in the recent past and still had problems with the leaking mentioned on the site.

I may be wrong but my impression is that it is only the earlier ones. I think the problem has been rectified in later cubes.

Are the cubes with standard run pretty easy to move (one person?) Also would 4 chickens be happy if kept in the run most of the time (we are in major fox area so would be unhappy to let them out when we are not around in the garden - another attraction for the Eglu - foxproofing)?

One person can move the cube with standard run easily. It becomes less manageable with extensions. Eglus and cubes are fox resistant.

My main attraction to the Eglu is the maintainence side and possibly less likely to attract mites etc. Not sure how true this is :?

It is true. Very few Eglu and Cube owners have had problems with red mite, and if they do it is so much easier to eradicate.

Currently thinking Black Rock, Light Sussex, Marran Cuckoo and Heritage Skyline - although this is more than likely to change again :?

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Good luck!