McAcoull Posted April 30, 2008 Share Posted April 30, 2008 We have 4 Lohmann chickens great layers 4 a day everyday , one of them has started laying an egg whose shell is difficult to describe but I'll try. The shell has ripples through it instead of being smooth !! thats about the best way to describe it. They are fed pellets everyday with occasional s"Ooops, word censored!"s and also have corn and maze mixed with the pellets sometimes as well. Are they missing something in their diet, well one of them missing something ? Any help would be appreciated Regards, Kevin Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted April 30, 2008 Share Posted April 30, 2008 It sounds as if they could be a bit shirt of Calcium. You could try Limestone flour Available at Equestrian shops or on Ebay as sold for reptiles. Add about I tbsp per grub of pellets. You could also recycle their egg shells by grinding them up very fine, baking them for 10 mins and mixing them with the pellets. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
McAcoull Posted May 3, 2008 Author Share Posted May 3, 2008 I always re-cycle the eggs shells. Got another one today it looks like the shell is made of paper mache , its thick but the texture of the shell looks like its been made from paper mache. What are the systems of a chicken becoming egg bound ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Omletina Kyckling Posted May 4, 2008 Share Posted May 4, 2008 Are they getting plenty of water to drink too? Mine knocked their water over one day and I didn't notice - the next day I had crinkly egg shells, almost sandpapery - I checked on the forum under the funny egg bit and it suggested they hadn't had enough water. I felt so guilty about that so now in addition to their glug they also have a bowl of water. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
McAcoull Posted May 4, 2008 Author Share Posted May 4, 2008 no sortage of water here in Scotland its not stopped raining for more than a day up here , thats how it feels anyhow Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hen Watch Posted May 6, 2008 Share Posted May 6, 2008 What do you mean by ripples? I sometimes get eggs with a band running around them or even torpedo shaped ones. Take a look at this post - click on the top link in the post - it is really useful http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23990 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...