kaylis1980 Posted May 22, 2008 Share Posted May 22, 2008 awwwww!!! im broody myself now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
debbie26pet Posted May 22, 2008 Share Posted May 22, 2008 awww yeah so cool its grt to watch them, but can i ask, are they all in the same eglu with other birds? No, the 2 broodies are in the eglu by themselves. They've been good and not nicked each others eggs, both have the same amount they started with so I've kept them together. awwww that is really good how many littles ones u got now? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted May 22, 2008 Author Share Posted May 22, 2008 We still only have one - very strange because I can hear cheeping in the eggs when I hold them to my ear, so I don't know why this one was so early. Or maybe the others are late? It's lovely to watch the chick, who doesn't have a name yet. It's been out in the eglu run today and I found it can squeeze through the bars!!! One of it's mums was outside the run very briefly, eating some dandelion leaves and all of a sudden chick was in the big wide world! Shan't be letting them do that again!! OH has offered to install a webcam - he who hates chooks!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tara.F Posted May 22, 2008 Share Posted May 22, 2008 one of our eggs is making a 'scratchy' noise Does anyone know (just out of curiosity) how mummy hen keeps the humidity right? It's awfully hot today! I read on an American site (far hotter than here) that they sometimes move the hen and mist the eggs with warm water so the membrane doesn't dry out:D ps, ooooh! please let him install a webcam! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted May 22, 2008 Author Share Posted May 22, 2008 Oooh, scratchy noises - that's got to be good!! They're due soon aren't they Tara? Re humidity, I think it's all done with body heat and the resulting condensation, I certainly won't be spraying the eggs with anything. Birds have been hatching eggs by themselves forever so I don't think they need my help! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tara.F Posted May 22, 2008 Share Posted May 22, 2008 Today is day 22 we were beginning to lose hope before we heard the faint noise now we're all excited again! Dave's off on a mission to source organic chick crumbs, one daughter has her head pressed against the coop listening for 'peeps'.....the suspense is intolerable! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted May 22, 2008 Author Share Posted May 22, 2008 I was told by the breeder I got the eggs from not to touch them again as it adversely affects the humidity, but I know what you mean - the waiting is killing me! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tara.F Posted May 23, 2008 Share Posted May 23, 2008 sadly, the chick died she made a sizeable hole in the egg but failed to get herself out. four eggs remain and Lacey is still sitting on them but it's the end of day 23 and there are no peeping sounds so it's not looking good. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superjules Posted May 23, 2008 Author Share Posted May 23, 2008 Oh Tara, that's such bad news after she's worked so hard. I'm really sorry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted May 24, 2008 Share Posted May 24, 2008 I'm so sorry - poor little chick . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...