KateP

Bald patches - still!

I posted at the start of May about Donna, my pepperpot, who had bald patches on her stomach. Well, they are still there and getting bigger! She has had them for approx 7 weeks now. I thought it might be a moult but there is no sign of any new feathers growing.

Christian suggested she may be broody and pulling out her own feathers but I have kept an eye on her and she isn't spending any more time than normal in the nesting box.

I am sure that Roxanne isn't pulling out her feathers as they are very friendly and never nasty towards each other.

I have inspected her and can't see any sign of lice and I also dust the eglu with red mite powder each week when I clean it out. They have also been wormed recently with flubenvet (but I don't know if worms would have anything to do with this anyway?).

A couple of areas look a bit red but she is eating and drinking and seems perky as normal. The skin also looks a bit 'flaky' in some areas.

I just don't know what this could be?

Edited by Guest

I am having exactly the same problem with one of our gingernuts, Basil has had a bald patch on the back of her net for about 2 months.

DSC02293.jpg

Is it the same problem? If so I would love to know what is causing this and if the feathers will return!

If it is a moult, it can take 4-6 weeks for the new feathers to emerge.

You could try giving her a little extra protein, as feather growing uses up a great deal.....rinsed dolphin friendly tuna, dried meal worms, undyed fisherman's maggots, scrambled egg, organic cat food.

I think feather underneath get rubbed off when they are dustbathing, lying on the roosting bars or in the nesting box too.

Feather pecking by their colleagues is usually around the vent, but can be around the neck too, so Joe Sp, why don't you spray your girl with some anti peck spray and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck.