gemschooks

first red belly, now walking strangely after soft shell egg

Is it me, or does the worry about the girls never stop?

Having posted about my little chooks belly last week, the same young lady seemed very under the weather yesterday - sat on her nest box until late refusing to move, but put up little resistance (unusual) when I picked her up and brought her in. I fed her some treats, but when I let her out she went straight back to the nest box. Later that evening I found a soft shell egg in the next box which I assumed explained the generally shaky, gloomy presentation. (and breathe!)

Today though, she was still on the nest box in the mornin, when i returned from work she was out with the others and seemed perkier (running etc) but when i got her in the house for closer inspection she seemed to be moving strangely - i kind of bobbing her neck up and down, jerky movements and getting low to the ground. Difficult to describe but def not behaviour i have spotted in the chickens before. Any ideas what it might be and whether a trip to vets is required?

thanks all

xx

Hi Gemchooks :wink:

Soft shelled eggs usually make chooks feel 'off' for a while so her behaviour may be a result of that.

You could try adding some limestone flour to their food for extra calcium & help prevent the softies. I have some at home so if you need any just give me a ring. :D

If the head bobbing, odd presentation continues but the eggs are ok then i would think about a trip to the vet just to rule out anything else.

Have you wormed the girls recently? :?

thanks ems :D

i bought the worming stuff a while ago but haven't given it yet (its the stuff they sell on omlet site). Will do that over next few days then to make sure. I've administered the redmite powder and louse powder in the hope to rule those out!

Blimey - its such a worry! I made myself feel sick on the way home, worrying about how she'd be by the time I got back. Although she def seems brighter than yesterday, her walk is still a little odd :? I think she liked a little tlc - she was given special treatment last night! :lol:

will keep you posted! How are all your ladies? have you got any more yet (I know you can't stop yourself!!) xxx

Thats good news Gem, keep your eye on her and if you want me to pop round then just give me a ring as im on half term at the minute :D

How are all your ladies? have you got any more yet (I know you can't stop yourself!!) xxx

Now whatever do you mean?! :angel::wink::lol::lol::lol:

My 11 girls are doing really well thanks, loving todays sunshine, spaghetti and TLC 8)