Mrs Hen

18mth old hen looking odd around vent...

Hi guys

sorry if this is very vague, but my husband is the chicken man, I just get involved at the egg end!

The children have been playing with the hens today and described one of them as having blood around her bottom.

When I have gone to look, the feathers around her vent area are all stuck together and there appears to be a long white "thing" sticking out.

I have taken a photo on my phone which is poor quality but will try and upload in a second to demonstrate...

Many thanks for any advice

It sounds like a prolapse. Don't have any advice to offer I'm afraid - I'm sure someone with some experience will be along shortly.

The one thing I do know is that you should seperate her from the other hens immediately. They will start pecking anything red and will make the injury worse.

Thank you so much for speedy reply! My children have put it into a box, with straw and a blanket :roll: so will keep it indoors. Husband coming home as soon as he can to take a look and make a decision!

Do you know if any vet will be able to check her over, or do I need to find a specific type?!