Flo

Odd laying - soft shells

Hi

My gingernut ranger has laid a couple of soft shelled eggs this week. She had laid an egg a day with no breaks since 12th May, but on Tuesday I came home to find three eggs in the Eglu. One egg from my Miss Pepperpot, one soft shell broken between the roosting bars, definately luci's, and one whole egg with a rubbery shell in the nest box which I am assuming is Luci's.

She didn't lay yesterday and then this morning she laid a slightly soft shelled egg (it cracked in my hand when I picked it up) and then behaved like she wanted to lay another egg. I had to go to work so don't know if she has laid anything else but it is a bit odd!

So I have a couple of questions. I have read that Limestone flour is good for soft shells, can anyone recommend where to get this from? And has anyone else had a girl lay 2 soft shelled eggs in a day?

Thanks

Hi

You can get limestone flour from horse supply shops or places like scats.

One of mine kept laying soft shelled eggs to start with and Im pretty sure she managed two in one day.

One was on the poo tray and the other out in the run.

But the flour sorted her out and have had no problems since.