Just a quick question about domestic cats and flies.

Are domestic cats a problem? will they attack my chickens?

we don't have cats ourselves but they do come into the garden and on a number of occasions we have found pigeon feathers scattered around. An obvious present or lunch time snack :vom:

The other question is about flies. Since the last couple of days have been warm there are lots of flies around. I try to clean them out at least every three days more thoroughly on a weekend. does any one have any solutions as i'm worried about fly strike etc.,or is this just because i'm an overzealous new time owner! :oops:

We try to move the cube around every week on to a new piece of grass.

Hi - Cats - I have three cats and two next door. My girls free-range in the afternoons and when we first got them the cats used to follow them all around the garden. At one point one of my cats (who is only 2) went up to have a closer look and Lulu went dashing towards her, wings flapping, sqawking like mad and the cat ran so fast it was hilarious! Since then, the cats lay in the garden with the chickens eating grass and scratching earth all around them and they take no notice of each other at all. Next door has a young kitten who is only 6 months and she walks around after the girls watching their every move, but they ignore her too. Im sure if she gets too close they will let her know. So I don't think you need to worry.

Flies - My Cube, I change the newspaper in the trays every two days and give it a good wash out at the weekends. I have not seen any flies in it but I have noticed that when the weather gets hot, flies do tend to sit on the outside roof of the cube, I think its because the plastic is warm.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Bev

thanks for the reply

I have seen flies in the cube, but over the last couple of days I have let them free range abit more when i'm home after work.

There seems to be less poo around so less flies i think.

It's put my mind at rest about the cats, one less think to worry about being a new owner.

don't worry about the cats - as above, they may have a go but will soon be chased off. A cross chicken with its wings stretched out and squawking is enough to scare even my big tabby, and he is a great hunter (and fighter).

Re the flies - put some citronella oil on a bit of kitchen roll, and tuck it under the run cover or somewhere convenient, it will put the flies off.