moomin

Is this Gapeworm?

Could anyone advise please on my chicken's symptoms? :?

Bobbie was coughing a few weeks ago, not continously, but it was like a little 'bark' sort of noise. Also shaking her head.

So I dosed them both with Flubenvet but only a single dose. The last dose was 15 days ago so I've started again - this time with a double dose as they are both shaking their heads and occasionally coughing. Bobbie is also loosing condition, she looks thinner and her feathers are gradually falling out, (she was beautifully feathered after she'd got rid of her baby fluff a few weeks ago), but now you can see bits of fluff again where her feathers are missing on her breast.

They are 18 weeks old and I've changed them to layers feed this week.

Am I doing the right thing giving them another dose of Flubenvet? They are not gaping very often, only very occasionally and that could be a yawn or the heat!

I don't know whether I am over-reacting but I know that they can go downhill very quickly and I obviously don't want this to happen. :(

A double dose of Flubenvet should sort them out if it is Gapeworm.

However, when on a double dose, there is an egg withdrawal period during the course and for 1 week after the last dose.

If they continue to cause concern after the course, I would sugget that you seek a vet's opinion.

Eglutine may remember this one - I had this problem not long after our girls arrived, shaking heads, yawning etc. i gave them several doses on flubenvet, but nothing seemed to help a lot.

I finally put the head shaking down to them getting all their feathers and growing combs - that must irritate them. One does occasionally have the yawn etc, but I think she has other problems (sterile perotinitus) which causes her to gasp for breath occasionally.

I would give them the double dose of flubenvet to be safe, but you may find that they actually 'grow' out of it.

Thanks Shelley I think you could be right. I'm carrying on with the Flubenvet, but I can see the smaller feathers growing back on Bobbie, she still shakes her head though.

It's worrying but I'm now not panicking about it, I will just see how it goes in the next few days/weeks.

Thanks again for helping tp put my mind at rest :D

possiblities of head shaking can be ear infections or mites in or around the ears.

be very carful double dosing with wormers always give the recommended amount at the intervals stated.

A cough could be respiatory (cant spell) but should not affect general condition unless quite severe or the feathers falling out.

Gape worm (red worm) lays its eggs in the wind pipe when they hatch they cause a blockage causing the bird to gasp or 'gape' for breath. it can aspyxiate the bird in some cases.

red worm eggs are passed out in the birds droppings & others pick them up starting the cycle again.

slugs, worms & snails are all natural carriers of the red worm.

worms will cause loss of conditon but not feathers. de pluming mite can cause feather loss, it causes irritation & burrows into the skin at the base of the feather & the bird pulls it out to try & stop any more irritation

if you are uncertain of the health of your birds dont leave it days/ weeks please seek advice sooner rather than later. :wink:

Karen