Hen Huggers R Us

Advice Please - Poorly Girl looks very unhappy

Hi eveyone,

Bluebelle our largest hen is at the moment standing around the garden looking quite sorry for herself. She laid a normal egg this morning, but the day before one seemed to have quite a thin shell. I am hoping this unhappiness is down to a softy on the way. I picked her up earlier and she felt a bit hotter than normal and was breathing with a slightly open beak. She also seemed to poo down me but it was watery with a bit of urine mixed in sorry, :oops:

I have just been in the garden and there appears to be a small patch of slime resembling egg white, no sign of yolk though and she still hasn't perked up. Saff our boss is obviously also worried about her as she is following her round and keeping a motherly eye on her.

Is this normal after a normal egg this morning?

Is this just egg white on the grass?

Why has she not perked up if it just a softy?

Iam getting worried that it may be something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kath :cry:

Glad she's ok. They do look very sorry for themselves when they're about to lay a softie. Hopefully she'll perk up now, Hyacinth is always fine immediately after laying one although some people say theirs are poorly for a day or so afterwards. Mind you she laid so many maybe she's used to it!