E4eggs

symptoms and advice please

I may just be rather neurotic, but I'd rather that than a poorly chicken and not be doing anything. Any thoughts or advice would help please.

One of my ex-batts seems a little off colour. Comb quite red, quite a lot of feathers missing around backside and on back (not sure if self inflicted, but is bottom of pecking order so probably a little of her and a little of them!) has been standing on patio making a peculiar noise. If she were a cat she'd be purring through gritted teeth, rather like a screamy purr.

She hasn't laid an egg today, and indeed we were getting four regularly and this week have had a few three egg days, so maybe she isn't laying as regularly as she was (though of course, eggs are an up and down thing). She has spent rather a lot of time on the nest today.

Actions taken so far:

When I've observed her on the nest she seems o.k. and not aggressive. Have tried to give her some grapes to see if she will eat o.k. Treats are usually a good indication of whether someone/thing is really poorly or not! Pecked them a little, but very unenthusiastic - didn't finish them.

Have given a little olive oil, in case egg bound. A few hours later when let out of run I think she dribbled it out a bit!

Crop seems plumpish but not hard. She is a little peculiar looking as her feathers have never grown back properly round her neck since we had her (three or four months).

Am thinking of worming them all.

What else can I do? Any suggestions please?

Many thanks

All you can do is wait and see really.

Why not examine her lower abdomen and see if you can feel an egg lodged there?

Some vaseline around the vent and a warm bath or some steam might help relax her and help her pass the egg, if indeed that is what it is. Dry her carefully after the bath.

I wouldn't go tinkering about inside her, in case the egg gets broken.

I would encourage her to drink. She won't need food till tomorrow.

I'd keep her in a box indoors overnight and see how she is in the morning.

If she hasn't been wormed for a while, I'd be inclined to give her a course of Flubenvet.

Good luck.