cordelia

Chicken poo with blood, and one of our girls toes looks bent

Hello, we're new to chickens and have had our two lovely girls for less than a week....They are Rhode Island Reds, are 13weeks and came from a breeder, not on the list, because the two in our area, had stopped supplying.

well one of the birds now has blood in her poo...not sure which, and I've looked it up and it could be very serious, of course being a bank holiday today, means I can do little about it, both birds seem to be feeding ok and drinking...they are on growers pellets, have fresh water, grit with oyster shell, have had a little verm-x and some chicken spice.

We've had them less than a week, the feed I have for growers says it has medicine against coccidiosis, in it, but judging by the pages I've looked up (of course Im not a vet), do you think it could be this??

(I have the layers pellets but they arent old enough for this, I was told)

I dont know if its Agatha or Daphne who is suffering, so I'll whip them off to the vets tomorrow, with baby and tow other girls in tow :-(

so upset for the chooks..

have i deduced correctly, and has anyone else suffered this, or is it merely that my supplier hasnt vaccinated, or have we done anything wrong?? the girls are in the garden in their eglu run still on soil.

thanks for any help

i just written a reply and it got eaten :shock:

when i first got mine i noticed that one of mine had blood in its poos and thought what i done wrong, was advised to worm them as can be sign of worms.

also it can be a shed of the chickens lining of there stomach, they do this every now again not sure how often though and not to worry, try not to worry easy said than done :lol: and soemone of here who has more knowledge than me will come along to help.

Hello, thanks so much for the replies, have had major panics..

they both seem happy, and have only hunched up together at night...(once we discovered the torch in eglu trick, it was great, and last night they went to bed themselves...were huddles together at the back of the eglu, but i thought that was more for warmth, but this morning was the blood in the poop..morning :-(

both appear to be eating, though now Im wondering if Daphne has eaten as much as Agatha today??

just looked out of window..and they are both pecking on the ground.and seem well, their back ends look ok...no sign of blood...no to beetroot..and as to worms??? no idea...really...

No bllody poo this morning, both look fine...so thats a good sign....Daphne number two in pecking order is eating like a hog....but Agatha, hasnt had her pellets whilst I've been watching..

I'm now on poo watch :-) but at least they've both survived the night..must remember not to talk when I go to close them at night, as last night they shot out of the eglu to see me, so had to put in torch and come back again....

ooo just watched a robin swooping at them in their run, they didnt like that much..!!