Aga n Chickens

Does anyone know how long cockatiels live for ?

Charlie was 23 on his last hatch day (Easter 2008) and is still going strong, although he no longer flies as well as he could.....its now more of a plummet !

We adopted him on our 2nd wedding anniversary and up until having the chickens he’d been our only pet.

He lives a life of luxury, having his cage open all day while we’re out at work. If he does happen to fall out, the resourceful little chap has devised a way of climbing back to his cage so that he’s never too far away from his seed and water.

He's always pleased to see us and greets us on our return with lots of whistles and talk.

We were conscious of perhaps spending more time with the chickens since they arrived just before Easter and wondered if Charlie was thinking that we had been ignoring him.

With the nights now closing in, and chicken bedtime getting earlier, we’ll be able to spend more quality time with him.

Has anyone had a cockatiel live longer than 25 years ?

Kind regards

Christine

I'm afradi I don't know anything about cockatiels but I found this on a website:-

Cockatiel lifespan - how long will my cockatiel live for ?

The average lifespan of a cockatiel is 12 to 15 years. It is not unusual for a cockatiel to live to 20 years of age and the occasional cockatiel makes it to 30!

It would seem that 25 is an amzing age for a cockatiel. It's obviously the way you keep him. :D

I'd always wanted a dog as a pet, but it would not be practical while both of us were working.

It has been quite an experience looking after Charlie, and perhaps he has been spoilt rotten.

He's been like another member of the family and we're now able to understand his bird body language....we know when he wants us to lift him out of his cage and spend the evening with us on the sofa, or if he wants a sample of whatever we're eating.

Since we had the chickens we've noticed similar body language and that has helped when it's time to coax them out the garden and back into the cube enclosure...we know when they are too busy digging up the garden to be bothered with anything else, or if they are ready to be bribed with a bowl of corn :)

Christine