little chickadee

Guide Dog puppies

When my husband and I first began the process to become puppy walkers for the Guide Dogs association last November, I had a thread in the nesting box which I’ve since moved to the “My family and other animals” section.

I first found out about Puppy walking on the forum and thought I’d put another topic on here to let people know about it in case they fancy having a go!

Basically, Puppy walking involves taking a puppy into your home from the age of 6 ½ weeks, until they are ready to go in for training at about 12 – 14 months old. Guide Dogs pays for their food/ vets bills and provides a supervisor who comes to visit about once a month, and is on the end of the phone for any queries/ problems you might have. You can take the puppy pretty much anywhere with you, as they have a special lead/ coat which lets people know that they are Guide dog puppies in training. This is essential from an early age so that they get used to all sorts of situations and aren’t phased by anything.

quita005.jpg

Quitaregal.jpg

We’ve had our pup Quita since last February, and we’re expecting that she will go in for training this Feb/ March after she has been spayed and recovered from the op. We will then be given another little bundle of mischief to care for. We’ve really really enjoyed the experience, and yes, we will cry when she goes. We love her, but we’ve known right from the start that she isn’t ours and that she has a very important job to do.

I won’t go into details about her time with us here as you can check out the link to her thread in my signature.

Also Maggie Mc Hen is a forum member who is a puppy walker. The thread about her pup Lexis is also in the “My family and other animals section)