Chickain

great day - first egg

Hello all, my son found our first egg this morning, two weeks to the day since the girls arrived, we haven't a clue which of the girls layed it and I was wondering whether there is anything that the chickens do before they lay, we did notice bark chippings in the nest box, and either one of our girls has developed a really good aim when kicking or she has taken the bark into the nest box herself, do they do this?.

It is a lovely brown egg and weighed 50g, my son can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!!

(red eglu)

PP Ethel

GNR Doris

!egg! 4/8/06

Mine kick the bark chips into the eglu but are happy with the straw I provide. They often like to announce their fresh egg with a ceremony consisting of large squawking. Did you notice any of your chooks in the eglu for a long time. Also a dark red comb indicates a laying chicken.

How exciting! They can start "nesting" a bit when they are about to lay, some hens bring twigs in too.

My ginger nut lays eggs that look like "shop bought" colour - and my pepper pot lays darker ones, sometimes slightly speckled. There are other signs too - large pink combs are a sign of laying - so it one hen has a larger, pnker comb - it may well be that one.

Enjoy you're first egg :D