KEVIN45

**Help - my chicken has hurt its toe**

Please help! My chicken caught its middle toe ( the long one) in my neighbours rat trap after hoping the fence. :( The toe stayed intact but badly cut all around the toe. I have washed it and applied antiseptic + antibac powder. Do toes heal e.g. the scales and skin? How would i tell if the toe was broken? She still walks on it. Is there anything i can do apart from what i have done to promote healing?? Please help - its sunday and i can not get in touch with a vet!!

you've done the right thing (exactly what I would have done) - cleaned the wound and applied something to it to prevent infection.

I would keep an eye on it.....maybe clean it regularly and keep applying the antiseptic. She may still be able to walk on it if it was broken :think: . I have used Arnica gel on my girls before to help healing. Purple spray if you have any also has an antiseptic in it, or carry on using the stuff you have.

I would give it a day or two, if you can she she is struggling give the vet a call. :wink:

Have jsut read this: one of ours managed to hurt her toe a few months ago, mostly ripping out the toe-nail. OUCH. We cleaned it up and put antiseptic on, just as you've done.

She did look miserable for a couple of days, but was fine after that and completely back to normal now.

How's your's doing now?