mictogirl Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 Hi again folks. Quick question on flubenvet, though I know there are probably loads of threads out there! We wormed them just before Christmas with it so figured they are probably due another dose. Last time I tried doing it with grapes, but it didn't work very well - quite often one greedy chook would get 2, little Tiny didn't get one a couple of times since she's used to being bottom of the pecking order, etc etc. Also cos all the ex-batts look the same it was hard to remember which one had had one when they were all running around! So I was wondering this time whether I could put it in their porridge, along with the other usual powdered stuff like garlic and limestone flour. Do you think this will give them equal doses? It's maybe not as accurate, but I know they DO all get to eat some, they just take turns around the treat bowl, even Tiny. Does anyone do it this way? I'm wary of putting it in their pellets as I think it'll just settle in the bottom and not get eaten.... Help and advice appreciate as always! Laura. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 It sticks well to the pellets and this is the way to give it according to the manufacturers instructions, that way each hen gets the correct individual does, as they eat according to their age and weight, and don't get the medication in one hit, as with the grape method but steadily through the course of the day. I think it would be very hit and miss if added to their porridge tbh. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted April 3, 2009 Share Posted April 3, 2009 Laura, I do it in their porridge, they have a bowl (well 4 bowls between 10 of them!) which they finish in the morning - they aren't let out until they have!! - then another in the evening..and a top up bowl if I go out during the day. It usually all gets eaten, so I figure they must all get a fairly good dose. Any porridge not eaten is removed until they are behind closed doors again, as I have 3 starved Labradors who think anything in a bowl that looks like theirs is theirs, I use old dog bowls for the chooks' porridge! The dogs get wormed at the same time with Drontal. Some days (not worming ones) when they are free ranging all day, they don't eat a huge quantity of their pellets - although other days they are all gone, so they are a bit hit & miss with pellets, hence I do the porridge route, at least I'm almost guaranteed a good feed for each of them. I use their usual mash, garlic, limestone flour & at the mo some poultry spice, mixed up 2kg at a time with the relevant quantity of Flubenvet in their cereal container, so anyone who feeds them uses the same stuff. Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...