bessandra

2 weeks tomorrow - what now?

Hi

My 3 ducklings are 2 weeks old tomorrow (that soon whizzed by!). What happens now? I've read various mixed posts and info. They are still inside in the dog crate with full heat lamp (apart from when it has been roasting outside then I've switched it off for a few hours in the afternoon). They are on chick crumbs. They have had a tiny paddle in a ready meal dish (empty from food of course!). I am cleaning them out once per day but the newspaper is soaked through when I do clean them.

Any advice is always very much appreciated, I really am very grateful :-)

We've only had ducklings raised by a duck so I'm not sure how they compare to chicks.

Do you have a good reference book such as Katie Thear's 'Starting with Ducks' ? - you should find plenty of advice there or you could take a look at the Practical Poultry forum.

Hi Indie

I hope you are well. I have 3 khaki campbells and I am so totally in love! Although they are still living in the conservatory, they have the heat lamp on at night thats all. The last couple of days they have spent a couple of hours in the garden with me, just following me around! Their feathers are starting to poke through and they had a good paddle today in a deep tray. They are so sweet. Hopefully boyf is building a temp. run tomorrow and the girls will then be outside all day and I will bring them in at night only - i think this is about right?

so how come you switched to chooks? I saw yuor postings where you've said chooks are way easier than ducks. I have 5 chooks too but I'm a bit down on them at the mo as two of them are broody and have been for 3 weeks :-(

Rachel

Hi Indie

I hope you are well. I have 3 khaki campbells and I am so totally in love! Although they are still living in the conservatory, they have the heat lamp on at night thats all. The last couple of days they have spent a couple of hours in the garden with me, just following me around! Their feathers are starting to poke through and they had a good paddle today in a deep tray. They are so sweet. Hopefully boyf is building a temp. run tomorrow and the girls will then be outside all day and I will bring them in at night only - i think this is about right?

so how come you switched to chooks? I saw yuor postings where you've said chooks are way easier than ducks. I have 5 chooks too but I'm a bit down on them at the mo as two of them are broody and have been for 3 weeks :-(

Rachel

Hi Rachel

I had brown khaki campbells very tough birds good egg layers and healthy types. Mine got eaten by the fox after about 4 1/2 years which was a shame but the reason i find ducks harder to look after is the need they have for water(essential) i think people can underestimate the water requirement ducks have. In the middle of freezing winter on cold days not such a great pet. Also they dont put themselves to bed at dusk ie if you are not around they are difficult to get in. Mine use to spend the night on the pond(it is a moat) so i knew they were safe, but did worry about mr fox.....in fact they were killed in their wooden house(I always thought the fox may get them during the day..they free ranged)

The chickens are so easy...I have them in a wir and probably the cube with its door for shutting on the outsied of wir makes it all straight forward.

However I do think ducks are cute and if i was at home all day would have some more. I had Aylesbury ducks too.

Sorry to sound so negative but i visited an eglu owner with one solitary duck and I felt very sorry for it ...it was an Aylesbury in an eglu and run..some ducks are hefty birds too big.

But the campbells shouldnt give u too much bother. If the weather stays warm I would harden your ducklings off(they are part mallard anyway) & put them in at night as you would do. Just see what the temperatures are and make sure you provide them with water.

Good luck

indie