margotthechicken Posted April 30, 2009 Share Posted April 30, 2009 Well, now the run is no longer smelly, thanks to your advice and the run is also fox proofed, again, thanks to you. Clucky is on the mend, again, thanks to you, but, we now have Lice. Help! I have been powdering them with the DE stuff from the Omlet shop, and I've powdered the nest box and coop. How long will it take to get rid of them, and how often do I powder the ladies? If I put the 'DE stuff' into the feed, (as the bottle says), do I need to withdraw eggs? If so for how long? Many, many thanks for your help. I am looking forward to hearing from you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted April 30, 2009 Share Posted April 30, 2009 DE will kill the lice by slicing them (it is fossilised sea shells I believe) and dehydrating them. It is best to treat them a week later to kill off any nasties that have hatched from eggs that they have laid. Barrier lice powder is very good too. If you add DE to their feed, this is a preventative against internal worms and does not require a withdrawal period for eggs. Good luck, seems like you have been through the mill! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...